Monday 17 June 2013

Cisco Networking Basics

The title of this post is "Cisco Networking Basics". In the world of networking it seems that nothing to do with Cisco is "basic". It's not just about plugging cables in and typing in an IP address. It involves implementing security features on advanced networking devices such as access-control lists, implementing subnetting schemes, interpreting gobblygook-looking command output among other things. However my purpose in creating this blog is to present these networking concepts in a way that will be easily understood.

The idea of a blog about basic Cisco networking means I assume the reader is a beginner and so even though I intend to provide explanations and insights into pretty much all concepts covered at the CCNA level, I still want it to be as dumbed-down as possible in a manner of speaking. I hope to make this a "Cisco Networking for Dummies" kind of approach.

If you are interested in enterprise-level networking as a career there is no better certification to pursue than Cisco certification. And when I say no better I mean: in the world of networking nothing else comes close.

I intend to post regularly explaining topics in their entirety or individual concepts within a topic and try to spell-out some of the more difficult to understand concepts in Networking.

Interestingly, although Cisco certification is by far the most valuable you could get, if you are totally new to networking I actually recommend casually reading the Comptia Network+ All-In-One Guide just to get an overview of networking concepts in a broad sense.

Then Cisco CCENT/CCNA (also known as ICND1 & ICND2) will focus on the more exciting details.


I hope this resource will be of benefit and I look forward to sharing my knowledge.


Roger.




Recommended Resource: GNS3 Vault:




2 comments: